Takeaways from Nurse Next Door’s Annual Conference #BeingMortal2019
This past month, we celebrated our 12th Annual Conference with Nurse Next Door Franchise Partners and HeartQuarters members. This three day conference from September 19th to September 21st located in Vancouver, BC — where Nurse Next Door started 18 years ago — has become a highlight of the year for many. Fittingly, the theme this year was #BeingMortal2019 to reflect our commitment to enrich the lives of our clients while helping them get back to doing what they love.
Inspired by Atul Gawande‘s book: Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, and his key principles of Purpose, Choice, Respect, Belonging and Autonomy, we understand that mortality is a reality in the home care industry. By embracing this we can work as a franchise community to make every day the best it can be regardless of age or ability. By refocusing on what really matters and driving results together we can live our unique purpose of Making Lives Better to build our bold pink brand across the globe.
Our Annual Conference has grown from a small-sized event to a grand celebration bringing in Franchise Partners from across the globe. Five reasons why this event is so popular among our Franchise Partners are:
1. Connect with the HeartQuarters Team – Support is always available to our Franchise Partners from our HeartQuarters team via phone and e-mail; however, our Annual Conference allows them to connect and ask any questions in-person. It’s an opportunity for our partners to get re-connected with the brand and hear directly from the Leadership Team. Founders John De Hart and Ken Sim are always on hand, as is Cathy Thorpe, President & CEO to talk about our Painted Picture – our vision for the future, and the format of the three-day event is designed to share learnings from the Leadership Team that are shaping the future of Nurse Next Door and the home care industry.
2. Learn from Peers – We encourage our Franchise Partners to share their learnings with each other and they’re great at doing this. Conference is highly beneficial for our newer Franchise Partners to connect with those who have been around longer to get advice. It’s also beneficial for our senior Franchise Partners to share knowledge with colleagues and get fresh ideas.
3. Learn from Experts – Every year, we have subject matter experts lead roundtable discussions on topics as broad as “Bold Dreams, Bold Goals”, or as focused as “Understanding Gross Profit” and “Radical Renewal for Marketing Success”. Depending on the business needs of our home care franchise system, topics are decided and designed to help Franchise Partners develop their One Page Plan – a tool we use to plan out the year.
4. Get Rewarded for Hard Work – Our Franchise Partners work hard and we recognise them for their efforts. Our final night of Conference is Gala. The pinnacle of the weekend, Gala, is a well-to-do celebration that features fine dining, enlightening conversations and the eagerly anticipated annual awards show. Ranging from Rookie of the Year to Franchise Partner of the Year, our coveted awards recognise the hard-work and successes of our franchises over the year.
5. Hear from World-Class Speakers – We spend a long time researching and selecting speakers for our Annual Conference that are in alignment with our brand and will speak on topics our Franchise Partners want to learn about. This year’s conference we had Dandapani: Hindu Priest, entrepreneur and former monk, who spoke about mindfulness and awareness, as well as Sandra Joseph: best selling author and record breaking Broadway star who encouraged the Franchise Partners to unmask themselves. Past conferences have included David Rendall, author of The Freak Factor, and Verne Harnish, Founder and CEO of Gazelles and author of Scaling Up
Take a look at a video from our 2016 Annual Conference #WeAreBoldPink:
Our #BeingMortal2019 Conference saw many successes this year:
- We introduced a Buddy system to encourage shared learnings not only from different partners but from different areas of the business
- We celebrated 12 months as a global provider of Home Care Services with Nurse Next Door Australia Co-Founders Amber Biesse and Matt Fitton
- We introduced Happier Ageing 2.0 with the 5 pillars that now underpin our philosophy of home care
- We celebrated the achievements of xx Franchise Partners who joined the Bold Pink Club
With a core purpose of Making Lives Better®, Nurse Next Door, under the leadership of Melbourne based Master Franchisors Matt Fitton and Amber Biesse, provides in-home aged care and disability support services built on our philosophy of Happier Ageing® focusing on possibility rather than disability.